- What is coffee, a bit of history and, knowledge of the different species : Arabica, robust and other hybrids.
- The coffee process: picking, stripping, mild and dry method.
- Introduction to roasting and blending. Visit to a roasting plant.
- Tasting of a good and a bad espresso, tasting different arabicas and robustas, finding differences.
- The preparation of espresso , dosing, grinding and tamping.
- The Cappuccino in theory and in practice. Milk frothing: the SCAE standards, more or less frothy, more or less hot.
- The classic Italian preparations: latte macchiato, caffèlatte, espresso macchiato , shaked coffee etc.
- An introduction to the brewing world: V60, Aeropress and other methods...
- Knowledge and cleaning of the espresso machines. Descaling, backflushing, cleaning of the grinder.
- What are the barista and latte art championships. Regulation and competitions.
- Introduction to professional coffee tasting: the SCAE evaluation boards, testing of several coffees in single origin, from Mexico Altura to Java to the spicy taste of the Ethiopian Sidamo.
- Practical test machine: find the right grinding degree and make a correct espresso.
- The latte art. Video, the “dry” technique and a lot of practice for the pouring of the rosetta, the heart, tulips the new rainbow cappuccinos and much more.
- From the world of the coffee cocktails to the new frontiers, from mocaccino to hot and icy very new proposals...
- Introduction to the new world of coffee brewing: brew ratio, timing of pour, turbulence, temperatures and other parameters.
- The best coffees for brewing.
- The concept of TDS and the use of the refractometer.
- The various tools of brewing: Aeropress, V60, french press, Chemex, cold drip.
- Basic practice with these tools.
- Extractions aeropress and V60 with various coffee roasted for filter.
- Modifying the grinding, brew ratio and temperature; evaluating how these parameter modify the organoleptic sensations in the cup.
||Coffee Shop Management
- Segments of coffee shops: different locations, different waves
- The added values of a venue: windows, malls, dehors
- How to plan a coffee shop business plan
- The average of incomes in a coffee shop around the world
- Right percentages of the costs of a coffee shop: food cost, employees, rents and...
- Bureaucratic routes: different countries, common paths
- Financing routes: crowdfunding and financing from companies
- The path for success: target, concept, communication, layout
- Be able to understand the hidden needs of the clients
- Products's strategy and prices
- Increase and transmit our skill
- Communication: into and outside the shop
- The three syndromes of the opening of a coffee shop (start strong!)
- The daily management
- The new concepts
- Characteristics, evaluation and defects of the green coffee with the SCAE parameters.
- Theory of roasting: different temperatures for different coffees, the roasting curves and profiles, methods of heat transfer, First Crack & Second Crack.
- The Italian coffee roasting. Practical exercises of roasting with the colorimetric system of evaluation.
- Tasting of a light and a dark roasted coffee.
- Blending: create our own blend starting from our taste or the taste of our clients. Tasting of good and a “not very good” coffees already sold in the market.
- Creating a first simple blend with two different single origine coffees.
- The aim of the coffee tasting. The organs of sense involved in coffee tasting: eyes, nose, mouth.
- What is it, and how to use a coffee tasting sheet.
- Tasting Espresso, filter, brewing
- The phases of the coffee tasting: visual, olfactory, assessing, tactile and aftertaste.
- Acidity, bitterness, sweetness, mouthfeel and aromas: the use of professional terminology.
- What is it the cupping, the professional system of coffee tasting.
- Cupping of several coffees in single origin: from the robustas to the best washed arabicas...
- Tasting of several espresso in single origin and blended.
- A little competition of cupping?